f256

a new photograph every posting... and an inside line to my dreary life

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Greetings Citizens. Jen & I took seven students, who knew nothing about Photography or Ceramics, and got them to make approximately twenty cameras and 40 images. We were both very proud of the work they made. Sorry there aren't images yet... I shot those on slide film. They may show up in the future. But you can see some of the cameras fresh out of the raku pit. Nice, huh?

So it looks pretty certain that I will go visit friends in Maine. And even though I have two classes here in the Fall, I'm going to the job service there to see what sort of jobs are available back there. I'm not happy with my life here. I can't compete for Photography jobs with the new faces and their command of digital. Both of my workshops involving alternative processes are cancelled due to a lack of interest. The type of Photography I like to make has no audience either. I'm not hip enough for the Rose City and perhaps I might do better in the back woods of Maine. Find a nice village and a Joe-job. Make my work, put it in a box and place it under my bed.

I had three students follow me to the bitter end at PCC. They took every class I taught and told me I taught them to love Photography. That's as good of a compliment I need and I can move on. I know that I contributed something to the medium and I can leave it... like Chauncey Hare.

4 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger mike said...

So you were able to convey your love of photography to three people who were receptive to it. That's about as good as it gets.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

i was hoping to do a little more...

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Icarus said...

...
I would've been in that pinhole workshop if it weren't for the belief that I hold.
that's a bit lame excuse for some,
but seriously, if the classes were assigned on days other than Saturday
I'd have been in your workshop.
so, if you were not counting me,
you have total of four people instead of three.
...
Plus, you've had huge amount of impact on the course of my life.
I wouldn't have chosen the path I'm taking now if it weren't for you.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

icarus, i am glad to count you among the people i was able to offer something to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home