f256

a new photograph every posting... and an inside line to my dreary life

Monday, October 31, 2005

Greetings Citizens. Today I made one of my students cry. Guess which one. If you said the high school girl you win. I was trying to dial her in on making test strips where you actually getting some information and setting yourself up for success. But she was seeing things differently. She thought I was making things hard on her. I wasn't, of course. But she had a little melt down anyway. The main problem was that she's used to doing things the way her high school teacher taught her which is significantly different than what I am trying to get her to understand. (That and she's obsessed about maintaining a 4.0). She doesn't want to let go of old (and dare I say bad) habits in order to embrace a fundamentally better way to go about making a fine print. I was able to sooth her weary soul, with some help from another student. She's a fairly good photographer but her head is full of silly ideas. If she needs to cry in order to get them out of her system then so be it. Outside of that incident, things are beginning to progress nicely. I was swamped with late work today but at least they've turned it in. We are beginning to formulate ideas for final projects and I've seen some excellent thoughts on things to do. I'm confident the kids will (as always) produce some fine work that they will be proud to call their own.

it was raining like crazy going up and coming home today on the bike. A little crazy going home. I really had to slow down and just enjoy the insanity going on all around me. But I made it home in one piece so all is well in the world, I guess.

6 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Blogger shasta said...

love the pic. too bad about the student's break down. its hard to adjust. alas.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger pinholeman said...

indeed... but she stuck it out and made a good print. so let's just hope she learned something.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Darren Clark said...

Ah yes, making students cry is awesome. Just kidding, I'm not prepared for it and don't quite know how to react. I don't know how you could ever make anybody cry though.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

she broke down thinking because she couldn't make one print right she'd lose her 4.0 grade average. i can't believe how obsessed some people are over grades.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger shasta said...

i used to be kind of like that in high school...obsessed about grades...

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

i was never that smart so i never worried about it. to me it seems silly and a waste of energy. maybe if i was clever i'd feel differently....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home