f256

a new photograph every posting... and an inside line to my dreary life

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Greetings my friends. Here is a photo I made along my journey to SF. It's California Highway 211 (or is it CA 233?) and it runs from Ferndale to South fork. It's a major detour taking three times as long as going on US 101 but well worth it. The road was a little beat to hell but the views (and turns) were awesome. First you go up and over the Rainbow Ridge (this image is just beyond the summit) in route to Petrolia. The nine or ten miles along the coast were extremely beautiful. Petrolia was where the first oil was drilled in California but the pocket dried up quickly. Now it's a semi-ghost town. But apparently there's a vault with golden CD's (not to be confused with Golden Tablets!) that store L. Ron Hubbard's writings. Interesting. If I'd had known the place existed, I would have joined Tom Cruise for dinner. Instead, I meandered through the Humboldt Redwoods enjoying the twisty roads until I found a good place to camp. After setting up the tent at Richardson Grove State park, I went to the local store for some Ramen noodles and OJ.

Steve picked up Heidi today. We laughed at how everything goes in slow motion when you're about ready to crash and then speeds up with the crash. He said the bike didn't look too bad. The forks appear to be okay and the exhaust system is still in one piece. So maybe it won't be too bad on the wallet.

I spent the rest of the day doing load after load of laundry. But tonight I've got clean sheets to sleep in as the temperatures begin to drop into the high-80's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home