f256

a new photograph every posting... and an inside line to my dreary life

Friday, September 15, 2006

Greetings Citizens. Today I lost a friend. Here is his latest blog posting (which he plans to delete). It will remain here.

From The Blog with No Name:

Venting off a little steam

NOTE: This blog post will be deleted in approx. one week along with all comments sent in response.

Ok, Mark and Tyler.

First, Mark: The first time, it wasn’t that funny, the second time was just annoying, the third time was just plain stupid. So, what are we to now? 10-12? . . . give it up. Let the marshmallows die.

Tyler: Here is your history lesson. This all started because of some crack Mark made. He doesn't think much of my long exposure water shots. He (and others) feel they are just gimmicky and I guess they don't value them because they are what 'photo hacks' such as myself do, not people with MFAs. Some people feel doing long exposures of water are what amateur photographers do. You know, those that read popular photography and outdoor photographer magazines.

Don't mind the fact that this critical assessment of my water shots comes from somebody that recently bought a lens baby and also shoots holga. I'm not sure why using such tools are any less gimmicky then what I do.

Ok, so I may sound annoyed. I'm not really. Well, I guess actually I am. It is annoying. I enjoy what I do and I think I do a good job of it. And I think there are people that enjoy this kind of photography. I don't really care what others think. Just ask Darren. I ignore his opinion about my water photos (almost all the time) and just keep on taking them. But of course he doesn't make a comment about it every time I post a new image on my blog.

So I guess what I am saying is I wish others would stop beating the proverbial dead horse. It wasn't funny the first time. Now, Marshmallow comments on my fish photos? Do you feel the same way about those images? I guess my work is just all fluff.

So, (Darren, stop laughing now - he loves this kind of soap opera on blogs), its all pretty funny eh, Tyler? Ah the joys of blogs. I personally have tried to keep my blog somewhat professional. Not a sob fest. And that is why I will delete this post in the near future.

And by the way Mark, I'm not annoyed you got the job. I was annoyed long before I found out you got the job. Of course being led on by the dept for about 4 months . . . . that annoyance has nothing to do with you. Or does it?

I just got tired of reading your whining on your blog every other post. 'Whoa is Mark. Lets all feel sorry he is such a wonderful photo teacher but can't get a job.' So Mark, how much did you end up whining for them to throw you a bone? I noticed you said you got "bennies". They didn't offer those to me. I guess I was wrong when I thought a solid exhibition record mattered in academia.

So to finish off my tirade, here are some of my favorite quotes from the last 6 months or so . . . I'd write more but this is getting long enough as it is.

---------------

Pinholeman: "All I do is toss & turn trying to figure out what the hell am I going to do with my life. I'm $47K in debt because I knew I was a good teacher and wanted to share what I know about Photography. But that pipe dream has been dashed and I'm left to wonder what am I going to do to pay the bills? . . . Maybe I could sell my photographs. Yeah right. Maybe I'll luck out and get hit by a truck."

Pinholeman: "The last time I was at an SPE conference, I saw all sorts of young women talking about their new teaching positions at this or that university. I saw the writing on the wall then and there: Photography is becoming a chick-art and guys aren't being encouraged to participate.. . . But the days of teaching Photography to students as a serious pursuit will now be a task left to the girls."

Pinholeman: "For the second time in my life I've stopped believing in God. If I do still believe in Him, I hate Him!"

Pinholeman: "Greetings Citizens. Well, I am beginning to work my way through the seven stages of grief over losing my job. I don't plan on it being a pleasant experience."

Pinholeman: "I really don't know what I am going to do! I don't have any skills. I know how to teach. But nobody seems the least bit interested. It's terribly frustrating! . . . I suppose I can get some ridiculous "real job" that I'll hate everyday for the rest of my life. But the thought doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather jump off a bridge."

Pinholeman: "I am pretty much going to hang up my hat and give up on teaching. I know I'm good; my students know I'm good. But administrators think of me as trouble... and maybe I am."

---

In closing I guess I should just finish it all up by getting everything out on the table . . .

. . . is it that in the end, it is more important to have experience teaching then it is to have experience in the subject one teaches. You said it yourself, "I have no skills."

And by the way, (referring to your PCC interview you told me about), I was never one of your students. I let it slide back then because I didn't think it really mattered if you promoted to the dept. chair that I was one of your students in order to get the job. But maybe now the fact you beat me out for a job based on that experience, it is going to sting just a little bit.


I'm done. I promise. I'll never bring any of this up again. So I guess I am as guilty as Mark now. After all I'm just doing what he does, using my blog to vent the frustrations of life. (said with sarcasm considering this is far from keeping me up at night. The current stresses of my life are more centered around getting a project finished and going to China where I will put my photography skills into practice then around some continuously stupid marshmallow comment.)

So I'm off to bed. I am guessing I should have gone to bed two hours ago. I'd be more rested for a nice day of fishing tomorrow and I probably would not have lost a friend.

Some friend,eh? Like the saying goes: With friends like these, who needs enemies?

5 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger Slade said...

It's fun to know you both, and try to have a personal/professional relationship with you both.

Here's my advice to both of you.

Grow up and let it go.

PS For the record I do not care for lensbabies, but I was not the one that posted that I do not care for lensbabies. I agree with Mark in that those who post criticism anonymously are weak.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Jon said...

You lost a friend? where did he go?

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Jon said...

Hey Mark, How nice of you to put my link back on your blog. I'm not sure why you took it off in the first place.

I agree with your assesment Mike. Sorry to put you through this. I'll do what I can on my side to grow up. For starters, I deleted the post a few days earlier then I promised. But I guess I can't control somebody else publishing my literary works without my permission. I guess I'll just start publishing other people's stuff without their permission too.

Wow, I am totally be a smart ass now. I really must stop.

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is very unfortunate. i'm sorry to hear you've lost a friend to such bitterness. :(

this doesn't de-value you, Mark, or the experiences you've gone through, in any way. we've all got problems, and we've all got the right to talk about them if we need to. as for me - i'm really glad you got the job. you deserve it!

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger pinholeman said...

thanks bran for the positive spin on this unfortunate turn of events.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home