f256

a new photograph every posting... and an inside line to my dreary life

Friday, August 18, 2006


Greetings Citizens. Well, I guess I've upset Jon because I got the USU job. I'm sorry to get a job and put a friend out but so it goes. I've finished second.... which is "the same as last" more than my fair share of times so I know how he feels.

Here's a short story from my travels: I'm in Maine and decide to go to Acadia via Bangor. (I wanted to see a photo exhibit before making a cliche photo of sea & rocks). After viewing the photos, I'm in a parking lot looking at the atlas trying to find the best route to the coast. A guy pulls up on a Harley Davidson asking if I need help. I tell I'm okay. So we chat about motorcycles for a bit and, just as I am ready to go, I ask him if he knows of any anti-graffiti in town. Well, he does! And we proceed all about town... me making images and him telling me stories. It was great. I think I must have made about 20 images. (We'll know soon enough). So I left Bangor and made it to Acadia. I was walking around taking a few random snaps with my Diana. I figured I'd ask someone to make a picture of me for proof that I do, indeed, go to Maine on these trips. Well I see this couple walking along and ask if they'll take a picture of me. The woman responds that I've asked the right people because her husband is a trained professional. I'm thinking, "Sure, sure he is," as I had over the Diana. He takes one shot straight on and asks if he can make another. I say, "Why not," and I see him composing all artsy-fartsy like. He hands the camera back and says, "We used to use these in college when I was teaching." I respond, "Yeah? Where did you teach"? He says Columbia University in Chicago! We ended up talking about the state of Photography there in Acadia (one of the most beautiful places on earth!) for over an hour. It was a great conversation. After I left, I went and had a lobster dinner at a place I had eaten at years ago. I would say that it was my best day in Maine. And I think it was the day I was able to let go of my bitterness of not getting the PCC job and ruining my friendship with R.

2 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Blogger mike said...

It sounds like the Maine trip did what it's supposed to do.

I kept waiting for the punchline of the "professional photographer" story to turn out to be someone famous that you totally didn't recognize.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger pinholeman said...

Yep, the trip did wonders for my soul. As for the guy's name, I forgot it as soon as he said it. Too bad because the story would be better if I knew who I was talking to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home