f256

a new photograph every posting... and an inside line to my dreary life

Friday, August 26, 2005

Greetings Citizens.

Well, we had a varsity scrimmage game today at Silverton High School. It was fun. We didn't work a game per se just a few series of plays. Afterwards they fed us sandwiches and watermelon. One of the players said to us, "Remember to call 'em in our favor." I answered back, "If you don't foul, we won't have to call anything." The coach was all over the guy telling him about not fouling. He snuck a wink at me. It's moments like that that makes officiating worth it. We had a new guy along with us. He pretty much stayed on the wings but I invited him into the middle to see what the Umpire position is like. Personally, I think it's the best seat in house. Sometimes you get bumped around or knocked on your ass. But you normally don't get hurt and you are right in the thick of things. The new guy had "happy feet" but he hung in there pretty good.

Tomorrow the youth league is having its jamboree. We all have to work three twenty-minute games. It's a good opportunity for the rookies to get their feet wet. There are usually two experienced officials and a newbie on each game. We rotate positions so the new guy gets a chance to see what the responsibilities are at each position. They usually panic when they have to be the Referee because that's the position with the most responsibilities. But the other refs cover him pretty good so that there isn't too much trouble he can get himself into.

Stacey mailed me some chop sticks from San Francisco today. They are Chinese-styled and pretty nice. I mailed her some photos the other day. She should get her present tomorrow. Stacey is a good dancer and she is in a musical production where she's playing a bad girl who kills her lover. It's a little out of character for her.

7 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the blue in your photo today.

Sounds like fun (officiating).

I was bummed today when I came home late and saw that the highschool was having its first game. I like watching highschool ball. Plus it is my old coach on the sidelines.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

being a sports official REALLY is fun Jon. You should try it. You won't make a lot of money but you'll make some new friends and be around a game you enjoy. football is great. the season is short and sweet and it pays the best. you always are working with two, three or four other officials too. by the end of october you're finished.

i think the blue looks like water. the image looks like it was shot from an airplane to me.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger shasta said...

i think it looks like some decaying rubbage in an old industrial ghost town that was recently swamped in acid rain.

mucho texturo

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger pinholeman said...

ummmm, i don't quite see that but if you do that's great!

 
At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blue wsa the first thing I noticed, too. At first, when I saw the small image, I thought I was looking up through a canopy of trees at the sky, but it was when I looked at the full-sized image that I realized what I was looking at. It still looks like it's sitting in water to me.

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much you going to sell me a full set of your metal series and anti-grafitti series for?

Print trade? We can do a square foot exchange. I will give you one print (200 sq ft.) for the equivalent in your prints. :)

I'll buy the ink and paper for two sets, I get one set, you keep the other?

:)

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

one million dollars... and an egg mcmuffin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home