f256

a new photograph every posting... and an inside line to my dreary life

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Greetings Citizens.

Yesterday I was chatting with my friend when the topic of showing work to galleries came up. Let me tell you up front that I am not keen on the idea of showing my work to gallery owners or critics. Why? you ask. Well, quite simply, I don't need to hear any negative feedback about my work. That and I'd rather be making stuff than schlepping it around. That is a personal choice that I choose to make. Well to get to the crux of the issue, my friend began to make the disjointed connection (in my mind) between not wanting to show to a gallery and teaching. He was of the opinion that I was somehow doing a disservice to my students' if I, personally, was not actively promoting my own work. Does that make any sense to you, gentle readers? Because it sure as hell doesn't to me! He went so far as to say he wouldn't want me as a teacher if I wasn't actively promoting my work. (He later said he was only playing devil's advocate... the sort of JK (Just Kidding!) crap that drives me crazy). I was very insulted. I think if there is one thing my students can attest to (references on request) is that I give them my all when I am teaching. This person also felt it was my duty to prepare them for the gallery owners that await them and their career in Photography. I disagree... strongly. When I teach Photography my goal is for the person to love Photography as much I do... to know how much Photography approached in the right light (pun intended) can improve the quality of your life. Bill Jay would ask for empirical evidence. I don't have any but I know my life has been enriched by Art, in general and Photography, in particular. I don't need proof much like the religious don't need proof that their God exists. My aim when I teach is to have the student become aware of their own particular vision and to share that with whomever they choose. They may become artists or documentarians. They may become fry cooks and waiters too. The point is that whether they are showing pictures to their friends and family or to a larger audience doesn't matter (to me). In my own case, I am quite happy to show my work to a select group of friends that can appreciate the effort and the vision. (As a sidebar, I will tell you that I don't show my work to my Parents because, in their words, "we don't get that artsy stuff.") I am satisfied with teaching what I know and what I believe is important to know in the medium. If you don't like my slant, you don't need to follow (or walk side-by-side with) me. Finally, let me tell you my goal in teaching: to guide my students so that they will become better photographers than me. I have a few stars out there twinkling right now and that is what makes me happy to be a teacher.

18 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger shasta said...

I'm with you. Your friend's view seems to promote the narrow assumption that art's primary function is commercial anyway. Bollocks to that shite! Naturally you should have some insight on how to promote yourself if students inquire about that sort of thing, but you don't have to be doing it if that's not your angle on life, just to be a good teacher. Teaching is pretty multi-faceted. Your friend, with his snippety dependence on empirical evidence supporting only his narrow opinions, should shove it up his ass. (how's that for rage?:))

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

wow! what a little rager you are. actually, bill jay is a photo critic that i respect very highly. but i really do believe that people in the arts are happier because of it.

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Icarus said...

"That and I'd rather be making stuff than schlepping it around." yup, me too. and what shasta said, rage et al. ;)

i'd love to be in one of your classes. i get pretty bummed out by the "art world" at large, the constant barrage of "you should get a gallery show/you're nothing without a gallery show/you're nothing if you're not selling/producing/bleeding through every pore for money"

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think one should make sure one understands the point someone is trying to make before you tell them to "shove it up their ass."

For the record, I feel Mark and I are having a misunderstanding - not a disagreement as mark seems to feel. Big difference.

I think Mark doesn't understand what I was trying to say. And what he said about me in this blog is proof. The statements he made about how he thinks I feel are wrong. I will gladly accept the blame for not stating my point clearly. I don't blame mark for this misunderstanding.

Wow, a problem today is people are SO willing to say "shove it up your ass" before they ever really understand what the other person is really saying. Shame on you.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

yikes! easy does it... as the AA saying goes. first I think shasta's comment about shoving it is directed at bill jay and not you, jon. i have to admit that having empirical evidence would help the cause but i don't need it and i am not too concerned it is not there. i know by asking myself and others that photograph (or do any other artistic pursuit) that they feel the quality of their life is enhanced from said pursuit.

and jon, i'm not a mind reader. you stated some things and i interpreted them. right or wrong that is what i came away with. i seriously think we do a fundemental difference of opinion on what is important to express as a teacher of Photography.

as for you icarus, i think i'd be happy to have you as a student. why don't you hop on the astral plane and fly over for a session... i'll meet you halfway... say in st. louis. afterwards we can drift to a good bbq joint... unless your a vegetarian. shasta (and jon!) you can come too!

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we are doing better now. We are understanding each other's viewpoints better.

I actually don't think we have a fundemental difference of opinion regarding teaching. I would love to model my teaching after yours. If I can ever get a teaching job. I love how you teach your students. That was never an issue.

However, what it takes to get a teaching position . . . that is more what I am talking about. Whether it is a gallery, a museum, journalistic outlets, commercial . . . or what ever else makes you happy, one has to do something to validate your photographic skills/knowledge/ability if you hope to teach it some day. How else would the people hiring know the difference between Mark D. (highly skilled photographer and teacher) and somebody as smart as a rock?

Lets put it this way. I could be the most kick ass bicycler in the world, better then Lance Armstrong. But that means squat in the long run. Why would somebody hire me to teach bicycling if all I do is go out and ride my bike around lots.

I don't like the system. I have no problems with people that make art just to improve their life or the lives of others. But when it comes down to wanting to teach photography, there has to be more then just really nice photographs.

Also, it is my firm belief that the more personal experiences a teacher has, the better they are capable to teach. Some day you may have a student who wants to know what it takes to get into a gallery or what ever. If you have never done it yourself, are you not doing your students a diservice?

If all you want to do is make art with your camera, do what ever you want. But if you hope to teach photography, it may pay off to dabble in different aspects of photography.

Thats all my original point was. Which I think was taken all wrong in the first place.

Disagree with me if you wish. But at least try to understand my point first.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Darren Clark said...

I've been trying to think of something funny to say to try to ease the tension, but I now realize I like the tension. Keep it up everybody.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

shut up darren or i'll drive down there and smash your toad! (how's that for anger)?

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

jk

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger shasta said...

lol. wow. jon? is it jon long? do you remember me? how's it going? :)

as for my 'rage,' you need'nt worry. i did not feel it at all. i was laughing when i wrote that comment, trying to pour forth some semblence of 'righteous indignation' in a sarcastic way. people have been giving me a hard time for the last year that i never get angry, in fact. (i usually get sad. anger is too confident an approach for me, when so much of the world is so incomprehensible beneath the scrutiny of my tiny subjective mind, and as you mentioned jon, tied up in semantics and miscommunication..)

truly, i was kidding: hence the 'how's that for anger' and smile at the very end. (i guess thats the way things can get misunderstood over the internet.)

in any case...gracious... peace? ;)

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

damn it shasta, i believed in every word you said! i hate you!
luv, mark

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

so darren, what are your goals as a teacher? (i promise i won't get mad)!

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger shasta said...

there's no wrong way to eat a reeses peanut butter cup.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

i like mine frozen!

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Darren Clark said...

I hope I'm letting my students define their own goals. My goals for my students are more in-line with your attitude. Though I do feel some pressure to prepare them for real life (whatever that is). I'm probably not as dogmatic about things as you or Jon though. The goals of the University with which I'm associated are probably a little more about career than expression. Have I been vague? I hope so.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

darren, i can appreciate a vague answer... it allows for a little wiggle room.

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember you shasta.

I am surprised you remember me. Wow, it has been a few years. What are you up to these days? Have Mark give you my email so we can take this away from his blog if you wish.

 
At 2:05 AM, Blogger shasta said...

jon,
sounds swell.. i remember your shiny hair, one of the pieces on the layered plexi glass you showed in class, and you're shiny helmutesque crop of hair nearly equaling in brilliance the glimmer of your sparkly glasses...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home