f256

a new photograph every posting... and an inside line to my dreary life

Wednesday, October 04, 2006


Greetings Citizens, the 19th Century students turned in some great work yesterday. They are definitely on their way! Cole, on of the graduate students, read a handout I game him on making digital negatives and turned in a digital VDB that was simply amazing. I got him scheduled to give a demonstration to the class on Thursday. It took him a some serious groundwork to figure it out, but now he can bust out prints with ease. I, for one, was impressed. Got home and made my first doctor's appointment in over 20 years. To say that I am a little nervous is a gross understatement! Rode Heidi to SLC for a new tire and to get the carburetor adjusted for the higher altitude here. They seem reliable but I'd rather have Steve & Chris working on the bike. While the work was being done on Heidi, I met with a former photography student from Salt Lake Community College for an enjoyable lunch at the Porcupine. Got home and went up to the lab to see how things were going. It was a ghost town. What a difference a day makes!

5 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Icarus said...

Hi, Mark!
school's going great here.
typography, design, art, mac intro.
they are all coming along great!
...
Sounds like you're having a blast there with Heidi,apt student,pleasant encounter, nice meal and what not!
...
boy, that website sure is making me hungry on top of the fact that it's about time for dinner...
I sure as hell is gonna go to the porcupine before I die...
mark my words, mark. my. words...chuckle
...
by the way,Is there any chance I can get my hands on VDB handout or could you suggest a book about it?

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger pinholeman said...

Here's a good place to start on the VDB's: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Vandyke/vandyke.html

Good books:
Coming into Focus: A Step-by-Step Guide to Alternative Photographic Printing Processes by John Barnier


The Keepers of Light: A History and Working Guide to Early Photographic Processes by William Crawford

The Book of Alternative Photographic Processes by Christopher James

I like the Christopher James book the best but all three have something to offer.

I'm glad school is going well for you. It's a little different there, isn't it?

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Icarus said...

why, yes
it's a little different
but the smell and the feel
of the dark room's still the same
Thx for the pointers!!!

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

ah, the smell of sodium thiosulphate. it smells of victory! hope your photo teacher is a good influence on your work. you've got the talent to be one damned-good photographer given some time!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Icarus said...

wow...
i'm...
flattered Mark...
...
by the way,
I'm taking a little break from photography
sure i'm taking pictures
but i didn't sign up for the photo class this quarter since the records office didn't evaluate my transcripts...
even till this day...
I'm just gonna wait and if the photo credits from pcc gets transfered, i'll be taking class next quarter
it's gonna be in color and i'm pretty psyched about it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home