f256

a new photograph every posting... and an inside line to my dreary life

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Greetings Citizens. Here's the rundown on things:

Saturday was lots of fun. Me and R went to the ballet after a great meal at Morton's. She drove my 356B to the show and was loving every minute of it. After the ballet we went to visit M at JAX. It was packed and very busy but M found enough time to chat with us for a few minutes. We walked back to the car and we decided we needed a doughnut. So we went to the Krispy Kreme in Beaverton. We shook hands and called it a night.

Sunday, I went shooting with Ji Soo. We went to the mortuary and shot dead people. It was fun. There are eight floors of crypts and urns and all sorts of neat stuff to photograph. I shot a couple of rolls and I think Ji Soo shot a little less. From there I went looking for some anti-graffiti to photograph and found a couple of images to make some zone plate images of.

Yesterday the last of the new recruits toured the facilities. M, a work study student, told me that a couple of people had toured the lab on Saturday. I said, "Let me guess. Women under the age of thirty." She was amazed. "How did you know that?" "Lucky guess," said I. So, on Monday, I saw (Yep! You guessed it!) two more women.... one under the age of thirty, the other was just over. Earlier in the day I had talked the department head (my last rant to him and the last time I would thank him for being understanding to my my demise at PCC). It went well enough. He encouraged me to keep looking for teaching jobs but I'm not so sure. The last time I was at an SPE conference, I saw all sorts of young women talking about their new teaching positions at this or that university. I saw the writing on the wall then and there: Photography is becoming a chick-art and guys aren't being encouraged to participate. In fact, while I was at USU, I saw the mix between boys and girls go from 50/50 to where in the last term I was there only one guy was a photo major. Scary but true. So I think I'm out. I still have a digi-class in the Fall that I will teach for fun and extra money. But the days of teaching Photography to students as a serious pursuit will now be a task left to the girls.

5 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger shasta said...

chic art? nah.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

chick art, that is unfortunate.

"We went to the mortuary and shot dead people. It was fun." taken out of context, this sounds really bad.

:)

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

that's right! chick art. you know the stuff: post post-modern self-portraits that scream "look at me, i'm oppressed and trapped in my own body". my guess is that it will take three quarters before there are zero guys taking photo there. sour grapes? maybe.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Happy Villain said...

Ah, maybe it's a geographic thing. Have you spoken with your buddy who teaches in my neck of the woods? All the photog teachers here are male. All the employees who know about cameras in the camera stores are male. It's still male-dominated in this area. Would you consider a change of scenery to continue teaching photography?

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger pinholeman said...

it may still be male dominated in your area... but not for long. it's now the womens turn to be in control of the medium. understand that i'm not completely unopposed to the idea but it does signal to this 47 year-old that there isn't a job out there with my name written on it. anywhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home