f256

a new photograph every posting... and an inside line to my dreary life

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Declining by Degrees


DSC0712
Originally uploaded by pinholeman.

I just finished watching a documentary on PBS about the state of higher education in this country. As a person who'd like to teach photography, I found the show to be very depressing. Why? Well, two thirds of community college students don't graduate. It's not because they're dumb but that they are working full time, studying full time and are battling the most difficult circumstances. Also, there was a part time faculty member who taught three courses in three different schools. He worked from dusk 'til dawn. He said he expected that he'd never retire because he was making just under $30K... the same amount he was making 20 years ago! He couldn't spend any time with students and taught straight from the book. He didn't have much of a choice, he didn't have the time to develop a curriculum or have office hours like a full time instructor. And my guess is that he didn't have any medical or dental benefits either. Really gives me something to look forward to!

Went for a nice motorcycle ride today. Ended up at Falls City. Talked to an Austrian couple for awhile then ventured to the falls where the disenfranchised youth were smoking the hippie lettuce. I said, "Hi," they said, "Yes," and I went on my merry way.

Got home in time to see the last three quarters of the NBA Finals. I was happy to see the cry-baby Pistons lose.

Ah the sweet life of the unemployed. Too bad I wasn't on the show to demonstrate how far an MFA can get you in life. Well, I suppose I did learn how to make pretty pictures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home